Newman Library tour: 1st floor
- Exit the elevator into the Study Café.
- To the left of the Study Café is Special Collections. This area includes manuscript collections, rare books, and the University Archives. Collection highlights include the American Civil War, railroad history, women in architecture and Appalachia. These items do not circulate but a reading room is provided and staff will assist in getting copies of documents. Special Collections hours are posted near the door.
- At the top of the ramp beside the elevators to the left is the CommLab and the Folio Collection. CommLab coaches assist students on oral presentations including building speeches, rehearsal and critique. The Folio Collection are oversized books that do not fit on the regular shelves.
- The Government Documents Collection is further along the room past the Folio Collection on the left. Past the Folio Collection and down the hall on the right are the Special Services Center, Microforms Collection and Map Area.
- The Special Services Center is equipped to assist with the research and study needs of students with disabilities. For more information call 231-3927.
- The Microforms Collection contains microfilm, microfiche and microcard copies of periodicals, newspapers, books and government documents. Reader/printers are available.
- The Map Area contains maps of the world at various scales and the atlas and map reference collections.